The people of the Solar Empire worship the Sun God, Surya.
- Aji Bidara
- The Radiant Queen, head of the Solar faith. She attained the position following the assassination of her predecessor in 1186 AP. Naresh's mother.
- Empu Baradah
- First of the Arun Guard. He was promoted by Ken Arok in 1181 AP, largely for killing the witch Calon. Since then he has become estranged from his wife and son.
- Landorundun's sister. She had an arranged marriage at a young age, so Landorundun sees little of her.
- The Solar Emperor as of 1191 AP. Son of Ken Arok. A man of peace and philosophy, traits that lead some to see him as weak. Though he looks to Empu Baradah as a friend and mentor, he makes his own decisions—ones that often frustrate the First.
- Ken Arok
- The previous Solar Emperor and father of Kakudmi. Killed with his own keris by Anusapati during the Battle of Astral Shore in 1191 AP.
- King of Suladvipa, and therefore a subject king of the Solar Emperor. He attempted to seize the imperial throne from his cousin when Rahu launched the Fourth War. Ken Arok defeated him, but granted him Suladvipa in exchange for support against Rahu.
- Lambe Susu
- Landorundun's mother. Once a wealthy socialite of Suladvipa, the family has fallen on hard times.
- A potential for the Arun Guard. Well-known for her astounding beauty, musical talent, and tenacious swordplay. Though born on Suladvipa, she traveled to Kasusthali years ago to attend the Academy.
- A potential for the Arun Guard from Suladvipa.
- Lembu Ampal
- A potential for the Arun Guard known for exceptional size.
- A potential for the Arun Guard from Kasusthali. Son of Aji Bidara. Known for his rash behaviour and extraordinary sword skill.
- Daughter of Kakudmi and Ratna, born in 1192 AP. Heir to the Solar Empire.
- Landorundun's father.
- A potential for the Arun Guard from Puradvipa.
- A potential for the Arun Guard from the Spice Islands.
The Lunars worship the Moon God, Chandra.
- Chandi's betrothed. A Moon Scion of noteworthy power, from a wealthy House.
- Ratna's mother, Rahu's wife. Died during the Battle of Bangdvipa in 1181 AP.
- Daughter of Ketu and Simhika, cousin of Ratna. A Moon Scion of significant power. Rahu sends Chandi to Kasusthali to watch over his daughter and to spy on the Solars.
- Rahu's brother, Chandi's father. Though his marriage to Simhika was arranged by his brother, Ketu found love, and was devastated when she died in 1181 AP. A deeply religious man.
- Childhood friend of Chandi and Ratna. Moon Scion of a minor house.
- First and most powerful of the Macan Gadungan. Malin is a bodyguard to Chandi and Ratna. Having failed to protect their mothers, he's sworn never to let harm befall them. Originally from Mait, he has lived among the Lunars so long he considers himself one of them.
- A werecrocodile.
- War King of the Lunars. Father of Ratna, brother of Ketu, widower of Calon. Rahu is not only a master of Silat, but the most powerful Moon Scion alive.
- Elder brother of Anusapati.
- Daughter of Rahu, heir to the Lunar Empire. Cousin to Chandi. Rahu sends her to marry Kakudmi in 1191 AP to end the Fourth War. Ratna sets aside her own desires and does her duty.
The Ignis worship the Fire God, Agni.
- Leader of the Igni resistance against the Solars in Kasusthali.
- A fire priest. Prime spiritual leader of the Ignis.
- A Serendibian that fled his homeland in shame. He once worked with Lunar pirate cabals, but later switched sides and became a privateer for the Solars. He spends his days hunting Lunar pirates, when he's not chasing profitable trades across the Isles.
- A green-eyed foreigner from an unknown land. Known to the Arun Guard as "the Stranger."